Proper jewelry care will save you money. If you are storing and cleaning your jewelry properly you can avoid expensive repairs and you will have beautiful enviable jewelry. Tangled chains, missing earrings, and scratched jewelry would drive anyone crazy. Avoid those common mistakes. Here are some ways that you can keep your jewelry looking beautiful and safe.
Remove your Jewelry when:
- working at home with harsh chemicals
- in a swimming pool or hot tub
- putting on lotion, perfume, hairspray, or other beauty products
- at the gym working out
- working in the yard
- or, for good practice every time you come home
Store your Jewelry properly
- Use a jewelry box, armoire, or displays.
- Keep jewelry separate to avoid scratching
- Hang chains or bag them separately with clasp just outside the bag
- Make sure they are appraised and insured. (jewelry boxes are #1 target for theft)
- Get your jewelry professionally cleaned often
- Clean Metals using a polishing cloth
- Clean Diamonds and precious gemstones with our Tidewater Diamond Jewelry Cleaner
- Be careful, some gemstones and jewelry require special care
- Free jewelry cleaning and inspection available
Special Care Gemstones and Jewelry
- Emeralds– Emeralds are durable but because of natural internal characteristics it requires special care. Emeralds should not be exposed to extreme heat. Brush using cold water.
- Jade– Wipe with a damp cloth then dry thoroughly. Avoid hot water, chemicals, ultrasonic cleaners, and steamers
- Marcasite– These stones are set with jeweler cement. Soaking and exposure to heat can loosen the stones. Wipe with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly.
- Opals– Soak briefly in cold water. Dry them thoroughly. Avoid extreme heat, hot water, ultrasonic cleaners, and steamers.
- Pearls– Wipe your pearls with a damp cloth to remove perspiration, oil or any other residue. For regular cleaning, wipe with a damp cloth. Dry completely with a soft cloth. Avoid heat, hot water, steamers or ultrasonic cleaners along with cosmetics and hairsprays. Don’t soak in water.
- Costume Jewelry– Costume jewelry often uses jeweler cement. Wipe with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly. Avoid Ultrasonic cleaners and steamers.